Born in York, raised in Wellingborough (Northamptonshire, England) I started playing guitar when I was 14 or so. My dad had an old 3/4 size nylon strung guitar and a “teach yourself guitar” book which he had bought several years before. He said he couldn’t play because of his big fingers! So I picked up the guitar and the book and taught myself.
I’ve got my dad to thank for kindly donating his guitar and for raising me on a heavily guitar-orientated musical diet of bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd to name a few.
I studied music until the age of 18, obtaining the best possible grades in both GCSE and A-Level music. I was all set to study music at university but for some strange reason I opted for business studies! I studied Commerce with French at the University of Birmingham and was fortunate to spend my third year in Montpellier, where my love of French and the French lifestyle began.
After a few years in the wilderness of the insolvency world in London, I was able to find my true musical path when my wife obtained employment in Saint-Germain-en-Laye in the summer of 2009, and the English Guitar School was born.
The guitar has been a constant companion, through good times and bad. I’m now in a position to share my love of music and the joys of guitar playing and I couldn’t be happier.
Aside from teaching and playing guitar, I’m kept busy looking after my little boy, Benji and I am an ashtanga yoga enthusiast.
- No public Twitter messages.
- Blank Sheet Music A website to print your own tab paper and other music stationery
- Chord Book How to play most chords you could ever think of
- Fretboard Trainer Free fretboard trainer software
- Guitar Strings Get your guitar strings quickly and cheaply here
- Guitar Tuner Online Guitar Tuner
- Metronome Digital Metronome Online
- Music Theory A great website to introduce music theory with lessons and trainers
- Online Drum Machine Monkey Machine is a free online drum machine for creating drum loops
- Stopwatch/Timer Online timer for your practice routines
- Ultimate Guitar News and articles on the guitar, a good source for TAB